A lift kit for your truck can be a great way to enhance the look of your vehicle and give you some extra off-road clearance. However, installation can be tricky if you’ve never done it before.
The first thing is that the installation process is quite simple. But if you don’t know what you’re doing, it can be easy to make mistakes and end up with an ill-fitting kit that damages your vehicle. So before you install a lift kit, make sure you have a good understanding of how to install a lift kit properly.
In this article, we will not only tell you the simplest way to install a lift kit but also provide you with some tips on how to find the right lift kit.
- 1 How to Choose the Right Lift Kit?
- 2 How hard is it to install a lift kit?
- 3 What is the best way to install a lift kit?
- 4 What kind of truck lift kits are there?
How to Choose the Right Lift Kit?
When choosing a lift kit, it’s important to consider a few factors.
Understand Your Truck’s Needs:
The first thing to do is figure out if you need a lift kit at all. Most tracks are built with a suspension that is good for off-road, but not necessarily good for on-road driving.
If you’re planning on doing a lot of driving on the highway, a lift kit is a great idea. However, if you only plan on using your truck on the dirt and never plan on driving on the highway, a lift kit isn’t really necessary.
Amount of clearance you need:
The other thing you need to consider is to understand the amount of clearance you need. Most trucks have a clearance of about 3 to 9 inches between the bottom of the wheel well and the ground.
If you need more clearance, a lift kit is a great option. However, if you only need about 4 inches of clearance, you probably don’t need a lift kit.
Consider Your Vehicle’s Size:
When choosing a lift kit, you’ll want to consider your vehicle’s size. The smaller the vehicle, the more clearance you’ll need for the kit. If you have a full-size pickup truck, you’ll need to choose a kit that’s tall enough to clear the wheels. If you have a mini-truck, you can choose a kit that is just tall enough to clear the front bumper.
Figure out your budget:
If you’re planning on getting a lift kit, you need to consider how much you want to spend. Some kits are very expensive, while others are fairly cheap. You need to figure out how much you can spend and whether or not you want to spend more. If you choose a kit that is not high quality, you will end up spending more money and you won’t get the expected results. If you’re on a tight budget, you can save some money by getting a kit that is a little cheaper and of great quality.
How hard is it to install a lift kit?
If you’re not a professional mechanic, it can be hard to install a lift kit. But with a little knowledge and a few helpful tips, it can be as easy. Following are the steps you should follow to install a lift kit:
- If you’re installing a lift kit on your truck, you’ll need to remove the bumper to get to the bolts holding it in place.
- Then you’ll need to remove the wheels.
- Remove the following items from the equation: Shocks, U-bolts, and springs that are currently installed. You might want to put them aside in case you need to put them back in your car. If you’re having difficulties pulling your old components, or simply cutting them off and discarding them if you have replacement parts in your set.
- Some kits necessitate the use of springs. Put them together according to the directions in the kit, then bolt them in place.
- Place your new U-bolts in the place where your previous bolts were. Check that they’re vertical and that everything is aligned properly, referring to the prior application if necessary.
- Assemble your shocks according to the directions in your package. You can install your shocks once they’ve been properly constructed according to the instructions. To finish, double-check that all of your nuts, bolts, and new components are securely fastened.
- Use a torque wrench to make sure all fasteners are tightened according to the manufacturer’s installation recommendations.
What is the best way to install a lift kit?
The best way to install a lift kit is to use a jack and a jack stand. The jack will give you the extra height to install the kit, and the jack stand will give you the stability to keep the kit in place.
What kind of truck lift kits are there?
There are a few different types of lift kits that you can choose from.
A leveling kit is the most basic type of lift kit. It will raise your vehicle’s frame so that it’s level with the rest of your vehicle. They’re usually only tall enough to clear the front bumper and great for those who just want to level their truck. This makes your vehicle more comfortable to drive on the road and in the dirt so most people are looking for it when they install a lift kit.
Coil-over lift kits:
A coil-over lift kit is the next step up from a lift kit. A leveling kit usually comes with a suspension that is better than a suspension kit. The vehicle is raised by a shock with a spring surrounding it. As a result, the truck’s height may be adjusted more easily. You’ll have a lot of clearance from the ground and the wheels will be clear. You’ll look more aggressive and ready for off-roading.
For example, modify the dampening to soften or stiffen the coil-overs, allowing you to tailor your suspension for on-road or off-road use.
Coil-overs, on the other hand, might be costly due to these extra characteristics. So, these kits are the best choice for those who want to do a lot of off-roading and are willing to spend a little more money.
Drop-down lift kits :
Vehicle owners who need more than a few inches of clearance should consider drop-down lift kits. You can gain 6 inches of elevation with a drop-down lift kit, which includes a bracket and other components.
Typically, this extra height will allow 35-inch tires to clear on a half-ton pickup truck, making it the best option for customers looking for the highest-profile tires. While drop-down lift kits are less expensive than leveling or coil-over lift kits, the only alternative if you wish to offer your truck maximum lift or accept wider tires is the drop-down lift kit.
Installing a lift kit is not a much more difficult process and it takes just a few hours to complete. It’s important to make sure that you choose the lift kit that suits your truck’s height, as well as your budget.
Here in this article, we have discussed how can you choose the right lift for your truck and also suggest a way to install a lift kit so that you don’t have to go through to look further. We hope that you will find this article useful.
If you have any queries or questions, please feel free to ask in the comments section below.